04 May 2017
The most common skincare question searched for online is ‘how to get rid of acne?’ We weren't surprised to hear this as statistics show the incidence of adult female acne is on the rise. More than half of women over the age of 35 suffer from some form of acne with 15% having their first serious attack in their 40s.
A study of 92 private dermatology clinics last year revealed a 200% increase in the number of adults seeking treatment. Cameron Diaz and Victoria Beckham have spoken about their struggles with their skin and it is believed that a number of factors; from stress levels and pollution to hormone fluctuations and genetics, could be to blame. Although we still don’t know the exact cause and there is no instant fix, successful treatments are available. These can take up to six months to work, so you need to be patient to see results. Some simple skin care practices can help improve your skin condition in the meantime.
- Don't use too many products at once as overloading the skin with too many ingredients can cause breakouts.
- Avoid products that contain lanolin, mineral oil or petroleum as these can block pores.
- Keep acne-prone areas clean, but avoid aggressive cleansing.
- During treatment skin is likely to become dry. Avoid over-washing as this can remove the surface oils that help keep the skin supple.
- Mineral make-up is ideal for acne skin as it is anti-inflammatory and a concealer, foundation, powder and sunscreen all in one.
- Wash make-up brushes at least twice a week and change your pillowcase regularly to stop the spread of bacteria.
Acne can affect more than just your skin; it can impact on your general well-being, influencing your self-esteem, self-confidence and outlook on life. Many professionals may see these effects as trivial problems but at Temple we understand the importance of these issues.
At your initial consultation we will make a full assessment of your skin’s condition including your lifestyle and previous treatments. You will undergo a detailed skin analysis. This enables us capture key visual information about the overall health and appearance of your skin. The pictures and analysis will be used to help monitor your progress throughout your treatment.